Friday, 9 May 2014

'I Quit Sugar'- The sugar detox programme


A change in my diet is something that I have been considering for a long time now and I know it has to be done as I'm constantly just filling my body with rubbish. My unhealthy eating habits are probably why I always feel sluggish and tired, why I have a very weak immune system and the condition of my skin. I'm pretty sure that I am genuinely addicted to sugar. I've tried to cut it out in the past, but I found it way too hard. I recently picked up a book, by Sarah Wilson, called 'I Quit Sugar' as I've seen it popping up on a few blogs recently. As well as eating clean in general, I would love to be able to kick my sugar habit once and for all.
I'm yet to read the book from cover to cover, but I've read quite a few sections and I found it so incredibly interesting. Before reading, it hadn't really dawned on me how poisonous sugar is for the body. I always thought that cutting out sugar would be pretty damn hard as when I've attempted to go cold turkey before I shoved some dairy milk in my mouth after a few hours (seriously!). I find myself always craving something sweet after every meal, I drink a lot of sugary drinks and juices, I'm constantly snacking on chocolate bars and cakes and I've had genuine mood swings if I haven't consumed sugar in a while. The thought of that is quite scary considering the major health issues that have been connected with refined sugar.
After a little skim through the book, I have managed to convince myself to try the 8-week detox programme to try and wean me off sugar. It doesn't seem that difficult as foods are gradually cut out and replaced with others until you go completely cold turkey. I like the thought that its a gradual process, so it won't be as much of a shock to my system. I know I'll probably be seriously grumpy and miserable for a week or two,but I'm sure I can get over it! I love the fact that the book has loads of recipes (108 to be precise) that range from breakfast to baking, so that its not difficult to make healthy, sugar free meals. The thought of cutting out sugar was always quite disappointing in a way as I love baking, but I think with some experimentation, I think I can get back to baking in no time!
I think I'm going to start this on Monday as that gives me time to pick up the main ingredients that I'll need. I'm planning on doing an update each week, telling you how I'm feeling, how the detox process is going and I might show what I've been eating throughout the week if I remember!
Have you ever tried a sugar detox before? I would love to know your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. I've slowly been cutting out things from my diet for that last couple of years and sugar has been the latest. I found it easier than I thought it would and have just kept myself full with natural things, if not I've taken the craving away by having a cup of tea or something! It's long and slow but I never crave anything now, I've still got my chocolate from Christmas for example! Good luck, you can do it when you put your mind to it, L x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read & comment on my blog. I reply to every single one, so make sure you check back xxx